Wednesday, May 3, 2023

The Next Building Over

I just remember glancing down at my sister's text. "It's really easy to find."

I had to meet up with her and my mom for an appointment with the neurologist as she's been having some memory issues and hallucinating—Doc ultimately said she thinks it may be a subcategory of Alzheimer's. Not that that was a total shocker. We have been noticing mom having some issues for a couple of years or so. It's just that it got worse enough that we needed to have a better idea of what we are dealing with.

I parked my truck and headed into what I thought was the main entrance of the hospital, walked toward the elevators and checked my phone for the information I needed.

5th floor, suite 5000.

I pushed the button to call for a lift and proceeded up to the 5th floor. Scanning the directory on the wall, all I saw on the 5th floor was suite 3000. There was no suite 5000 to be seen. I glanced around a bit more thinking maybe I was missing something. 

Nothing. There was no suite 5000.

I finally saw someone coming down the hall that clearly worked at the hospital and asked, "I'm looking for neurology, suite 5000."

She smiled and said, "Oh, that's the next building over."

I saw there was a long hall to the right of the elevators and asked if I could take the hall on the 5th floor to get over there and she said I'd have to go back down since I'd have to pass a security check point down the hall. 

No worries. I called back the lift and went back down to the ground floor and made my way down the hall to the other side of the building. I looked around and saw a bank of elevators and repeated my steps. 

Up to the 5th floor I went. But there was less there than the other building over and still no suite 5000.

I went back down to the ground floor and stopped at the help desk. "I am looking for neurology, suite 5000," I said.

"That's the next building over," the receptionist told me.

How many buildings are there?

I walked over to the next building and finally found the suite I was looking for on the 5th floor. And I made it just in the nick of time. 

I made it a point to tell my sister that it was not at all easy to find and she asked if perhaps I needed to have a consult with the neurologist after she finished up with mom?

Follow my various writing and blogs at https://www.facebook.com/jimbauerwrites

No comments:

Post a Comment